i don’t like drifters in my space.
i won’t have anyone in my circle who isn’t honest with me. in my head, that’s a simple request.
i don’t function best going back and forth either. i’m not here only for convenience and won’t just come when called.
if you’re not feeling it, please just let me know.
i love when i get hip to some smart type stuff unexpectedly. i write down that in my mind, to save for later.
You can tell a lot about a person by the type of music they listen to. Hit shuffle on your iPod, your phone, iTunes, or however you listen to your musics and write down the first 10 songs that come to play. Tag 10 people you want to do it also!
I’m gonna borrow from Danti and include the lines that affect me the most. I skipped the songs that didn’t and included why I kept the songs I did.
1) All Falls Down - Kanye West: “We shine because they hate us, floss cause they degrade us/ We trynna buy back our 40 acres/ And for that paper, look how low we a’stoop/ Even if you in a Benz, you still a nigga in a coop”
I struggle with the implications of expensive taste. I know who really benefits and I know it’s not me. Cognitive dissonance.
2) Who Is It - Michael Jackson: “Don’t you judge of my composure/ Cause I’m bothered everyday…..Somebody hurt my soul, now/ I can’t take it cause I’m lonely”
I watched Michael do the acapella version of this song during his Oprah Interview and I’ve loved the song ever since. The video is one of my favorites of his. Michael in the 90s man…
Through The Wire - Kanye West
3) Where Did The Night Go - Gil Scott-Heron: “Should have been asleep when I turned the stack of records over and over/ So I wouldn’t be up by myself”
All of I’m New Here is a national treasure. Both my parents are hip because of me.
Hip Hop Star - Beyoncé feat. Big Boi and Sleepy Brown
Come On Get Up - Janet Jackson
Lapdance - N.E.R.D
4) The Beautiful Ones - Prince: “I may not know where I’m going/ I said I may not know what I need/ One thing, one thing’s for certain baby/ I know what I want”
Purple Rain is low on the list of my favorite Prince albums, but this song, When Doves Cry, and the title track are still breathtaking. And what a great moment in the movie! Morris’ face! Apollonia’s!
5) Prototype - Outkast, from OG Ron C’s Fuck Action 37: “I hope that you’re the one/ If not, you are the prototype…….If we happen to part/ Lord knows I don’t want that/ But hey, we can’t be mad at God/ We met today for a reason/ I think I’m on the right track now”
The whole song. I have the original too, but I love this version even more.
Cobbler - Kelis
6) Don’t Play Me - The Artist Formerly Known As Prince: “Maybe all, how you call us, niggers, ain’t the same/ It’s all good when you know the only fame/ Is the light that comes from God and the joy you get to say his name/ Don’t play me”
The Truth is just that. Them 90’s albums he released…prolific.
7) International Player’s Anthem - Outkast & UGK, a chopped and screwed version on Let Ya Nutz Hang 2K7
This song/version was my introduction to chopped and screwed music. I only just discovered that this isn’t the original version of the song.
Feeling Is Right - Samantha Mumba
Hang On To Your Love - Sade
8) Arrogance - Prince & The New Power Generation: "What make a man wanna rule the world?"
An interesting conclusion to any ventures toward greatness.
9) The Question of U - Prince: “So what is the answer to the question of you/ What do I look for, what shall I do? Which way do I turn when I’m feeling lost?/ If I sell my soul, now what will it cost?/ Must I become naked? No image at all?/ Shall I remain upright? Or get down and crawl?/ All of the questions in my life will be answered/ When I decide which road to choose/ What is the answer to the question of you?”
I included all the lyrics.
Trying to Make a Fool of Me - The Delfonics
Until U’re In My Arms Again - New Power Generation
Stillness Is The Move - Solange
Ride Wit Me - Nelly
10) I’m New Here - Gil Scott-Heron: “I did not become someone different/ That I did not want to be….Met a woman in a bar/ Told her I was hard to get to know/ And damn near impossible to forget….No matter how far wrong you’ve gone/ You can always turn around”
I appreciate the hope in this song.
Tagged by alimivale .
that I’m heavily affected. But she said “principled” instead and I like that. She tells me so often to play the game. I’m amazed at how slowly I move when I’m learning… I get the same lesson over and over and over again until I reach the right height.
I’m not there yet, but I’m growing.
Mother is a powerful role.